HOW TO: Bungee in my Pocket

I got one hand in my pocket and the other one is giving an ascend sign!


After my post last week on “Top 5 Essential Bits of Scuba Kit” I received a few messages, (I love getting scuba mail so keep them coming) about where the hell I put them all.

Good question, and truth be known, I usually carry a few more bits and pieces of additional kit.

A certain amount of “stuff” is needed on every dive, certain conditions and environments require more, some less; it just depends on the dive. Either way, every diver needs somewhere to put all the “stuff” until it’s needed.

It is a valid question and one I asked myself when I began acquiring my vast array of scuba gear. I don’t have an instructor or dive mentor I can turn to for such things, so my old friend Google and I did some research.



The interweb gave me all sorts of wonderful advice and storage options for scuba equipment.

I was advised to clip stuff onto D-Rings, attach all sorts of wonderful cables and bits of telephone cord to my stuff, add on storage packs; or I could even buy some form of underwater suitcase that required trailing around.





All of these are viable options, and I have utilised them to a certain degree on some of my dives, except maybe, the waterproof suitcase; I only use that on special occasions. However, I didn’t really find them agreeable.



Unbelievably the answer was a little more straightforward; - pockets.

Bowstone Pocket


Amazing eh? Who’d have thought of just keeping stuff in your pockets?


I’m pretty sure the internet had suggested pockets at one stage, but I chose to ignore the simple answer in favour of a more technical solution; imagine that. I never stated I was smart - awesome and fabulous perhaps; but not smart.

I dive a dry suit pretty much all of the time, and amazingly enough, it has 2 pockets; one on the outside of each leg. I have found most drysuits come with at least one pocket; if not, they can easily be glued in place; the same applies to wetsuits.



So, I was pretty much sorted right? Not quite.



Somewhere in the vastness of the digital highway I found an article, I think it was in Diver Magazine, which suggested the use of bungee in the pockets. It had a picture to go with it, (which i now can't find) that really looked the part, and provided a brief explanation of why a diver needed bungee in their pockets.

'Bungee Cord' courtesy of Rose Brand



Why Bungee in the Pocket?

A loop of bungee in the pocket allows a diver to attach small items (with the aid of a bolt snap) thus securing them until needed.

[Attaching bolt snaps to equipment demonstrated here]

The article proceeded to explain; when an item was needed, rather than rummaging around for a specific thing, you simply pulled everything out, unclipped what you wanted, and stuffed everything back in again.



A splendid system.


However, upon closer investigation, I quickly realised my pockets didn't come factory fitted with bungee; it was a moment of pure horror from which I have barely recovered.


Thankfully Google and I were able to come up with a solution for attaching bungee to my drysuit pockets; grommets.




Grommets in my pockets provide a method of securing the bungee, therefore allowing the clipping of stuff; simple. [sidenote: i really must patent the term "Grommets in my pockets" - stroke of genius]


So I got to work and configured my pockets, and here’s how I did it.


ATTACHING GROMMETS TO DRYSUIT POCKETS

You'll need a grommet tool and some grommets, or eyelets. I used an eyelet with a 10mm inner diameter, 19mm outer diameter.

Repeat these steps on either side of the pocket.

  • STEP 1: Punch a hole at each side of the dry suit pocket with the grommet tool. I found a hammer was useful, and fun. I like hammers, it's something you never really get to use often enough in scuba.





  • STEP 2: Place the top ring on the outside of the pocket and push it through.




  • STEP 3: Place the thinner ring on the inside of the pocket.





  • STEP 5: Apply the grommet tool, and break out the hammer again.





  • STEP 6: Inspect your awesomeness and make sure the grommet is firmly in place. Re-hammer if needs be.






ATTACHING BUNGEE CORD TO DRYSUIT POCKETS

I have found 4mm bungee best as it is thick enough to feel with drygloves on, and has a good amount of resistance without being super loose; so that when you tug stuff out of your pocket it doesn't act like a catapult beating your buddy with random pieces of kit.

Repeat these steps on either side of the pocket.


  • STEP 1: Tie a loop of bungee long enough to suit the size of the pocket. Tie a strong knot and burn the ends with a lighter to stop fraying, and securing the knot further.




  • STEP 2: Feed the loop through the eyelet keeping the knot on the outside of the pocket.




  • STEP 3: Tie a knot on the inside of the pocket, keeping the knot as close to the grommet as possible.




  • STEP 4: Check knots are secure and the bungee doesn't pull through.




BEFORE AND AFTER

This is how my suit arrived, simple pockets.


This is how my pockets look now! - Aren't they fabulous?



Having 2 pieces of bungee cord in the pocket means I can effectively separate elements of gear. For example; in my left pocket I have an smb attached to one cord, and a spool attached to the other. If I need the spool I reach to the left cord, if I need the smb I reach to the other. If the pocket is big enough this technique can work quite well; if small, it simply takes a little practice.




I appreciate this post is really boring, but it is a useful trick for all divers and I recommend everyone tries it out, plus it’s always fun to tinker with scuba gear!


In order to liven it a little up i've included this picture:



Do you have any other tricks for storing kit?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it!

Safe diving buddy.